We hope that through our “behind the picture” blog posts, you will learn more about our children’s lives, be better equipped to pray for their personal struggles, and that one of their stories will touch you and ultimately lead to sponsorship.
A Bit About Gloria!
This is Gloria! She is a 5-year-old girl who lives in Nairobi, Kenya and lives with her mother and two siblings. Gloria’s father left the family to find work in a more rural area, and her mother occasionally washes clothes for people to make money. Her mother struggles to pay Gloria’s school fees and for the other basic needs of the family because she doesn’t have much of an income and she owes a significant amount of money.
Gloria loves hearing stories about Jesus, dancing, and playing games like hide and seek. Her favorite food is rice and beans, and she helps around the house by wiping the table after meals. Gloria’s best friend’s name is Esther, and her favorite Bible story is when Jesus healed the sick girl. Lastly, Gloria would like to be a Doctor to help sick people.
A Bit About Nairobi, Kenya!
Kenya is located in East Africa and is a very diverse place. It touches the Indian Ocean and is mostly desert and mountainous.
Gloria lives in Nairobi, Kenya which is the largest city in Kenya and has a population of 4.4 million people. 2.5 million of those people live in the slums of Nairobi. The Kibera slums are the largest slums in Kenya and one of the biggest in the world. The temperature is anywhere from the low 60s to the high 80s, and they experience both a dry and a wet season.
The homes in Kenya are usually made of mud or corrugated metal sheets and the terrain is typically very rocky and dry. The children within our Kenyan CarePoints rarely have electricity or running water in their homes, so they have lots of long walks in all types of weather to the nearest well or other water source.
How to Pray for Gloria!
- Please pray for Gloria, her parents and her siblings. Pray that God would use their hardships for His glory and their good.
- Pray that God would bless Gloria’s parents with good jobs so they can supply the family with their daily needs and pay off their debts.
- Pray that Glorida and her family will stay safe and healthy.
- Pray that God would help Gloria do well in school and that she would continue to learn and grow.
- Lastly, please pray that Gloria will be sponsored and that she will be given hope through sponsorship. Pray that God would bring the perfect sponsor for Gloria and that they would have an amazing and lasting relationship. Most importantly, please pray that all of this will ultimately lead her to Christ.